Steve Harry, Gordita, Brisbane
Join us at Fortitude Valley’s Gordita for an evening of Spanish-influenced food and stellar wine.
“Gordita” means “chubby” in Spanish. That might sound harsh, but in Spanish-speaking circles it’s a term of endearment – mostly reserved for your loved ones. It’s also the name of Jamie Webb’s Spanish-inspired kitchen and bar in Brisbane’s Fortitude Valley. And trust us there’s plenty to love about it.
Previously at Webb’s Cabiria, chef Steve Harry has been at Gordita for just six months. Born in Sudan and having spent time in Egypt, he takes inspiration from different European and Africa cuisines, and prefers to focus on the ingredients of a dish. “We have a few Spanish staff at Gordita and when they talk about their food, they mention how vibrant and alive it is, and how fresh all of their ingredients are,” says Harry, “I take that same approach when devising our menu.”
The restaurant’s house-cured pig jowl will kick off proceedings, followed by the likes of Sunshine Coast redclaw yabby with parsnip and nasturtium, or a dish of Dutch cream potato, barley and bone marrow. Matching Spanish wines and cava, courtesy of Wingara Wine Group, will be served, while the summery lavender, elderflower and coconut sorbet will suitably conclude this Fine Dining Lovers event. “Some might call it fancy, but I think it’s simple and contemporary,” says Harry. Just the meal for you and your gorditos.
Join us for dinner at 7pm on Monday 27 April at Gordita, 11b/100 McLachlan St, Fortitude Valley, Qld. The cost of $120 per person includes wines by the glass, S.Pellegrino and Aqua Panna waters, and a $10 donation to the Ovarian Cancer Research Foundation. To book, call (07) 3666 0605. For more on the OCRF, call 1300 OVARIAN or visit ocrf.com.au.
* Blood Orange Sangria (Spanish tempranillo, spiced rum, S.Pellegrino Aranciatta Rossa)
* Wattle seed and rye sourdough with kefir-cultured butter
* Pig jowl with sage and onion caramel
* Sunshine Coast redclaw yabby with parsnip, vanilla, nasturtium, prawn oil and sea blight
* Goat’s milk, wild rocket, almond oil, pomelo, salad burnet and chestnuts
* Dutch cream potato cooked in mushroom stock, egg yolk, barley and bone marrow
* Wagyu tri-tip with black garlic and bitter leaves
* Coconut sorbet with lavender and elderflower
SPONSORED BY FINE DINING LOVERS